Gender Blenders is a non-profit organization and its contributions to Burning Man (i.e. our camp, its resources, and the events we throw within various Burning Man events) are funded through a cost-share model, donations from fairy patrons, and fundraisers.
Each year, under the 10 Principles tradition of Burners, Blenders (GB campers) contribute their time, efforts, and money to make GB on playa happen.
Note: No Trans/Genderqueer/Non-binary/Agender folks or QPOC turned away for lack of funds! Scholarships are available, if needed.
Operational expenses include:
- Maintaining infrastructure
- Blender Dome
- Shade Structure
- Furniture and decor
- Sound systems
- Camp kitchen (stove, sink, shelves, etc)
- Camp shower
- Camp chairs
- Maintaining/replacing camp tools
- Leave No Trace tools (pickup tools, garbage cans/bags, compost, etc)
- Carts and dollies
- Drill Driver and Rebar pullers
- Fire safety equipment
- First aid
- Supplies for workshops and events
- Alcohol, fruit, tea, etc
- Safer sex supplies (toys, innie and outtie condoms, gloves, pads, dams, lube, …)
- Wrist bands
- Water for Blenders (campers and GB event participants)
- Potable/drinking/clean water
- Grey water disposal during/end-of the event
- Fuel for generators and camp stove
- Transporting camp supplies to playa
- Storage container rental and playa delivery
- Scholarships for low-income Blenders
If you have the means, contributing a larger Cost Share is encouraged and will allow us to do more for our community!
In addition to the Blender Cost Share that goes towards making what we do possible, we incorporate a refundable $100 Camper’s Agreement Bond that deters plug-and-play camp mentality that is antithetical to Burning Man’s 10 Principles. After the event, the bond is refunded to Blenders that have met their contribution requirements (i.e. their share of making GB an awesome gift to playa). Camper contributions include setup/teardown shifts, camp work shifts, event volunteering, and adhering to the Camper’s Agreements.
We offer scholarships to low-income Trans/Genderqueer/Non-binary/Agender folks who otherwise cannot afford to camp with us. We also offer scholarships to those at other intersections of marginalization, such as cisgender QPOC. We ask that allies who do not fall under these categories honor the intention of our space and demonstrate their allyship by prioritizing financial accessibility via scholarships for those who need us as a safe space, who would not feel safe or comfortable camping elsewhere, rather than for themselves.
The 2019 Gender Blender Cost Share tiers are:
- Standard Blender = $350 ($250 Cost Share + $100 Bond)
- Sugar Blender = $600 ( 2x $250 Cost Share + $100 Bond)
- Covers you and helps fund scholarships for Blenders in need
- Low-Income Scholarship Blender = $225 ($125 Cost Share + $100 Bond)
- Must be approved by leadership
- Cost share portion can be further reduced based on need
- Refundable Bond still required